We value our partnerships with all organizations.
In collaboration, Fresh Roots fields are used as outdoor, hands-on learning classrooms where school communities and residents of Vancouver address food sovereignty, community health, and enable vocational skills development. Our urban fields facilitate neighbourhoods actively engaging with where their food comes from.
Come grow with us! Our flexible and dynamic team is always looking to expand our network of friends and allies.
Fresh Roots Schoolyard Market Gardens
Schoolyard Market Gardens are outdoor, hands-on learning classrooms where school communities address food sovereignty, health, obesity, and other food-related societal diseases, and introduce life-long patterns of healthy eating and food literacy.
By growing a larger-scale market garden, Fresh Roots brings stability and expertise to a school garden and school community.
We work with youth and their families to reconstruct an urban food system that is resilient, sustainable, and accessible to the greater Vancouver community.
Our Schoolyard Market Gardens:
- Provide an opportunity to meet the BC curriculum objectives in creative, engaging ways
- Empower youth through skills development and hands-on, experiential learning
- Increase school-community collaborations leading to healthier relationships
- Create green collar job opportunities for youth
- Establish an opportunity for a school community to address food sovereignty, health, obesity, and other food-related societal diseases, and introduce life-long patterns of healthy eating and food literacy
- Expose youth to the realities of a living, working farm, transforming society’s current, distorted relationship with farming and food.
- Showcase an aesthetically pleasing, calm and inspiring space maintained by a partner organization.
Current School Projects Include:
Queen Alexandra Elementary
David Thompson Secondary School
Vancouver Technical Secondary School
As VanTech began drawing plans for a new green space, they invited Fresh Roots to join in the conversation. Now Fresh Roots is growing the first larger-scale Schoolyard Market Garden in Canada at VanTech. This Schoolyard Market Garden grows food for the community while utilized as an outdoor learning classroom by school teachers and the surrounding neighborhood.
- Teachers utilize the consistently stewarded garden to teach their curriculum in.
- Students are joining young urban farmers getting dirty while learning and sharing transformational life experiences in their edible schoolyard.
- Cafeteria staff look forward to sourcing produce from school grounds
Urban Farmer Internship Program
We are excited to offer a hands-on urban farming experience through our urban farming internships. We have both part-time and full-time internships in organic urban food production as well as compost management.
- Hands-on training in urban agriculture including: organic growing methods, crop rotation and scheduling, building infrastructure and maintenance, installing irrigation systems, and harvest and storage techniques
- Training in smaller-scale, inner city organic waste management systems (composting and vermicomposting)
- Experience in small business management
- Opportunity for significant personal transformation
- Fun in fresh urban farm fields