Fresh Roots Urban Farm Society (FRUF) enhances urban food sovereignty by creating equitable access to healthy food and educating communities through engaging, innovative neighborhood farms, and most recently through schoolyard market gardens.
Our vision is neighborhood market gardens that create places for inter-generational, cross cultural, and multilingual opportunities for sharing knowledge, environmental stewardship, where fresh foods, health, and well being abound.
We produce organically grown food in our neighborhood market gardens and distritube it through our Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) program, school cafeterias, farmers markets, and restaurant sales, using urban land to nourish Vancouver residents.
We grow our gardens to be aesthetically inspiring spaces for schools and community members maintained by local urban farmers.
Fresh Roots neighborhood market gardens host classes, workshops, an urban farmer training program, and community celebrations. Our gardens provide opportunities to meet BC curriculum objectives in creative and engaging ways.
We partner with community organizations and schools that use our market gardens as outdoor, hands-on learning classrooms; engaging neighborhoods in addressing food sovereignty, community health, and vocational skills development. Our fields host community gatherings and celebrations.
Using multiple sites, Fresh Roots exemplifies an effective way Vancouver can confront global challenges of pollution, land degradation, and poor nutrition within our society.
Our goal is to become a self-sustaining institutional garden program that, in partnership, reconstructs an equitable urban food system for all.
Fresh Roots Schoolyard Market Gardens:
- Create an outdoor, hands-on, experiential classroom for the school community, after school programs, summer school programs, and greater neighbourhood.
- Support urban farmers with access to land and the opportunity to earn a living wage.
- Enable the school and surrounding community to build a relationship to growing and consuming food.
- Facilitate and educate urban people in sustainable, small-scale intensive farming practices.
- Create and implement a transferable model for community-engaged urban agriculture that can be replicated by institutions, municipalities, cities, and grass-roots organizations across Canada.
Fresh Roots Urban Farm actualizes resilient neighbourhood food systems and food literacy.
As Local As It Gets
Fresh Roots grows delicious varieties of produce, reclaiming previously unused lots in urban spaces. Joining our CSA, or buying from us at a farmers market means you are eating food grown just blocks away from your table!
We strive to offer our community virtually zero carbon emissions food, through bike-trailer logistics; grown in Vancouver compost, by Vancouver farmers, with Vancouver love.
Why join our Urban CSA?
- Support locally grown food and organic growing methods
- Know where your food grows and the people growing it!
- Eat healthier meals
- Connect to the seasons through the food you eat
- Partner with your farmer
- Keep money in the local economy and engage in an innovative, truly sustainable, urban food system
- Are a part of creating access to healthy, safe, affordable food .
- Support the first Schoolyard Market Gardens in Canada
Connect to a wider community within Vancouver that is interested in a healthy food system. We share seasonal recipes, preserving tips, and local community food happenings through our blog and monthly newsletter.
Throughout the season there will be opportunities to visit the gardens, take part in a harvest celebration, and get to know our East Van locavore community at the weekly veggie box pick-up.