Fresh Roots Urban Farm Society enables community-engaged learning through urban agriculture. Our commercially productive farms allow neighbours to explore the nexus of food, community, and the environment through cultural and intergenerational programming on our urban farms.
Our vision is neighbourhood market gardens that create places for inter-generational, cross cultural, and multilingual opportunities for sharing knowledge, environmental stewardship, where fresh foods, health, and well-being abound.
Produce from our neighbourhood market gardens is distributed through our Schoolyard Harvest Box program, sold to local school cafeterias, and our new neighbourhood market stands
We grow our gardens to be aesthetically inspiring spaces for schools and community members maintained by local urban farmers.
Fresh Roots neighborhood market gardens host classes, workshops, an urban farmer training program, and community celebrations. Our gardens provide opportunities to meet BC curriculum objectives in creative and engaging ways.
We partner with community organizations and schools that use our market gardens as outdoor, hands-on learning classrooms; engaging neighborhoods in addressing food sovereignty, community health, and vocational skills development.
Using multiple sites, Fresh Roots exemplifies an effective way Vancouver can confront global challenges of pollution, land degradation, and poor nutrition within our society.
Fresh Roots Schoolyard Market Gardens:
- Create an outdoor, hands-on, experiential classroom for the school community, after school programs, summer school programs, and greater neighbourhood.
- Support urban farmers with access to land and the opportunity to earn a living wage.
- Enable the school and surrounding community to build a relationship to growing and consuming food.
- Facilitate and educate urban people in sustainable, small-scale intensive farming practices.
- Create and implement a transferable model for community-engaged urban agriculture that can be replicated by institutions, municipalities, cities, and grass-roots organizations across Canada.
Fresh Roots Urban Farm actualizes resilient neighbourhood food systems and food literacy.
Fresh Roots grows delicious varieties of produce in vibrant neighbourhood market gardens. Buying from us at our neighbourhood market stand means you are eating food grown just blocks away from your table!
We strive to offer our community virtually zero carbon emissions food, grown in Vancouver compost, by Vancouver farmers, with Vancouver love.